(Wenham) I took my first look at the 2010-11 Gordon College men’s basketball team last night (Wednesday) at the Bennett Center. The event was a team scrimmage.
My goal was to get a look at the eight new faces on the team. I did get a look but with the players wearing scrimmage jerseys I wasn’t able to connect a name with a number.
(Any observations I make are without interviewing anyone. I guess that’s my way of covering any mistaken observations I come up with!)
Here are a few of my observations:
– Greg Walker has put on weight. He probably got tired of getting pushed out of position close to the basket. He showed (again) how dangerous he can be when he gets the ball close to the basket.
– Dave Dempsey was scary good on offense. He was defended but seldom stopped. His quickness was noticeable. He will score a lot of points.
– Austin Bentson has been in the weight room. His hustle is always a pleasure to watch. I still wonder if he can stay out of foul trouble and consistently make outside shots.
– I’m not sure about the guards on this team. I instinctively worry about getting the ball up the court. There are many teams with proven guard defenders on the schedule. Do we have a turnover-proof point guard??
– Where will the points come from after Greg and Dave? Being surrounded by shooters last season gave them open shots they may not see again.
– Arriving early enough to catch the team hearing Scripture and praying together reinforces my thinking that there is a crucial bigger picture that this team is focused on. I highly approve.
I did see Brady Bajema after the scrimmage. He gave me a quick catch-up on the graduated seniors. Brady is starting a two-year program at Gordon to get his masters in education. He’ll assist the basketball team when his schedule allows. Both Ben Gaskill and Jeff Derr are working in Boston. Tim MacDonnell is back in Vermont working in special ed at the school his mother is in. Aaron Trigg is touring with Athletes in Action.
The opening game is on November 16th (Tuesday) in Bangor against Husson College. I doubt that I’ll be the only member of the Gordon faithful in attendance!